JUST IN: Hospital Issues Major Update On Rep. Scalise’s Condition

After a month of frightening updates, MedStar Washington Hospital has finally released some relatively good news about the condition of Congressman Steve Scalise (R-LA).

Rep. Scalise has finally recovered from the serious infection he contracted while receiving care for a gunshot wound he received last month during a congressional baseball practice for a charity game. His condition has once again been upgraded to “fair” and the hospital says that Scalise has been released from ICU to begin an “extended period of healing and rehabilitation.” (via MedStar Washington)

Scalise was rushed to MedStar Washington on June 14 after receiving a serious gunshot wound to the hip on a Virginia baseball field. Scalise was shot by a gunman later identified as James Hodgkinson, who opened fire on the staff and security team who were there practicing for an upcoming charity baseball game. Among those wounded were a congressional staff member, two police officers, and a lobbyist. However, Scalise’s injuries were the most serious.

The gunman was finally shot and killed by police, and others on the field obtained no more than minor injuries. Scalise was tended to by paramedics and rushed to the hospital with a trans-pelvic wound.

The wound is said to have damaged his bones, blood vessels, and internal organs because of its location. In the month since his arrival at MedStar, Scalise has had serious ups and downs in his reported condition. Initially in the ICU for the severity of his condition, he was released and then returned to the unit on July 5 due to an infection he contracted.

Before he had been sent back to intensive care, his condition had been reported as fair. But on July 6, he underwent surgery to attempt to combat the infection.

“Congressman Steve Scalise underwent surgery for the management of infection. He tolerated the procedure well,” MedStar Hospital reported with the Scalise family’s permission. “He remains in serious condition. We will provide updates as appropriate.”

While Scalise has been released from ICU, he still remains hospitalized as medical professionals continue to treat his infection. Once he starts to show signs of improvement, there are plans to possibly move him to a nearby rehabilitation facility.

Scalise’s colleagues have decided to honor the representative by waiting until he is well to shoot their official 115th congressional photo.

“The decision was made to wait until Whip Scalise is able to be present,” the committee told reporters.

House Administration Chairman Gregg Harper (R-MS) and Representative Robert Brady (D-PA) also sent out a memo to House members to notify them of the delay, promising to notify them of the new date and time for the photo.

Majority Whip Scalise represents the 1st Congressional District of Louisiana as a Republican. He was previously the chairman of the House Republican Study Committee and member of the Louisiana State Senate.

This unfortunate event has left all of Congress on high alert. We can only pray that no other assassination attempts will be made on the lives of those who represent us.

Continue to pray for Rep. Scalise’s full recovery, and for peace and healing for his family and colleagues.