Just last week, the hosts of the well-known MSNBC news show, “Morning Joe,” came forward with the accusation that President Trump’s staff is blackmailing them with humiliating information — and that they had phone records to prove it.
Interestingly enough, hosts Joe Scarborough and Mika Brzezinski are now staying tight-lipped. Why? Because MSNBC has stated that they have no intentions of releasing anything to back up their claim, according to Mediaite. This begs the question: What could MSNBC hiding?
To recap, Joe Scarborough and Mika Brzezinski said that a top White House official called trying to pressure the co-hosts into giving Trump some positive coverage. They say the official then blackmailed them with releasing an embarrassing story to the National Enquirer magazine.
According to the “Morning Joe” hosts, they refused to play along and told the official to go ahead and leak the story. The problem with this claim, as we now know, is that MSNBC can’t seem to produce the evidence that the call ever took place.
Trump sent his message out loud and clear over Twitter: “Watched low rated @Morning_Joe for first time in long time. FAKE NEWS. He called me to stop a National Enquirer article. I said no! Bad show”
But Joe Scarborough didn’t let it go, tweeting in response: “Yet another lie. I have texts from your top aides and phone records. Also, those records show I haven’t spoken with you in many months.”
But even after he stated on social media that he had proof of the call, MSNBC officials have said they have no plans to release any evidence.
The story in question?
Most assume it was the one published in early June by the National Enquirer entitled, Joe & Mika: TV Couple’s Sleazy Cheating Scandal.
The magazine released this statement on Friday:
“At the beginning of June, we accurately reported a story that recounted the relationship between Joe Scarborough and Mika Brzezinski, the truth of which is not in dispute. At no time did we threaten either Joe or Mika or their children in connection with our reporting on the story. We have no knowledge of any discussions between the White House and Joe and Mika about our story, and absolutely no involvement in those discussions.” The statement was released by Dylan Howard, chief content officer and vice president of American Media, Inc.
The question is: was this extortion or is does the morning show have more to hide? We are guessing the latter.
Joe Scarborough has claimed he had a conversation with White House official Jared Kushner — Trump’s son-in-law — about the impending National Enquirer article. He claims that Kushner then put pressure on him to call Trump and apologize for any previous statements he had made that may have offended the president. This is allegedly where the entire fiasco began.
One White house official was quoted as saying, “This is getting blown up on Twitter and elsewhere as some kind of blackmail operation,” the official said. “The truth is far more mundane. In this case, Joe was talking to Jared about his [bad] relationship with the president and an Enquirer hit piece he was uneasy about.”
Both White House and National Enquirer staff have made statements saying they are unaware of any conversations about blackmail between Trump and the “Morning Joe” co-hosts, and since MSNBC refuses to turn over the alleged proof, we can only assume that they have something to hide or it was a bluff all along.